Email: service@sicas.cnTel/Wechat/Whatsapp: +86-15318861816 русскийNew version
  1. Students
  2. Student Stories
  3. Study-In-China Stories
  4. How to Apply For a Student Visa to China?

How to Apply For a Student Visa to China?

Views:700 Time:8/22/2018 7:18:34 PM

X-1 visa is applicable to foreigners who come to China for a long-term study period (more than 180 days).

X-2 visa is applicable to foreigners who come to China for a short-term study period (less than or equal to 180 days).

Every foreigner must have valid passport and visa/residence permit to stay in China. Staying with expired or fake passport, visa/residence permit will be treated as illegal. It will leads to a warning, fine, arrest or repatriation. Therefore, please pay enough attention on the status of your passport and visa/residence permit and make sure not to leave them expired.

The Division of Entrance and Exit of the Public Security Bureau (Police) is the authority for these affairs of foreigners, which plays the similar role as the Immigration in some other countries. Foreigners who live in China should also register the address at the local police station. In 24 hours after moving into a new place, the foreign should take the passport to the local police station or other authorized organ with his/her landlord to get an issued form/ certificate. In some hotels and apartments, it can be processed directly at the reception. Please keep the accommodation registration form/certificate with the passport carefully and bring them together when going out.

The validity time of the Residence Permit is indicated on it in terms of date of expiration. A student holding a residence permit has multiple entries before it expires and does not have to apply for another visa to re-enter China.

How to apply

1. You shall come to the visa office of the Embassy or Consulate -General in the consular jurisdiction where you reside to submit the application.

2. If you cannot come personally, you may send someone else or a travel/visa agent to come to the visa office of the Embassy or Consulate -General in the consular jurisdiction where you reside for application process.

3. Mail applications are not acceptable and will be returned.

4. No appointment is required.

Processing time

1. The regular processing time is 4 working days.

2. Express service: 2-3 working days processing.

3. Same day rush service

Documents to be included with application

1. Your valid actual passport. The passport must have at least six (6) months validity left before expiration and at least one blank page left in it.

2. One completed Visa Application Form (Q1) with one additional passport photo (black, white or color is acceptable).

3. An approved Foreign Student Visa Application Form (JW201 or JW202) issued by the authorized Chinese unit, and an enrollment letter from the Chinese school.

4. For the applicant who will study in China for more than one year shall also provide a Physical Examination Certificate for Foreign Citizen.

5. An applicant born in China who applies for a Chinese visa with a new foreign passport is required to submit his/her Chinese passport or last foreign passport with a Chinese visa.

6. If the visa application form is not filled out completely, correctly and legibly, this can cause a delay in processing or the refusal of the requested visa.

Additional information

1. Visa is valid for one entry, three months. The holder of a (X) visa shall go through residential formalities in the local public security department within thirty days of entry into China.

2. Any person suffering from mental disorder, leprosy, AIDS, venereal diseases, contagious tuberculosis or other such infectious diseases shall not be permitted to enter China.

3. The Consular Officers have the authority to refuse any visa applications inconsistent with Chinese laws and regulations, or revoke issued visas.

Source: Hubei University of Arts and Science

You can easily get all the most useful information for free on our website


SICAS ( Study in China Admission System) Welcomes you all to apply to study in universities in China.

Website :

Whatsapp: + 86-15318861816


Read Also:

Lunch Time, Meeting Old Friends at SICAS

A Reunion for SICAS and Our SP Students-Qingdao Underwater World

A Reunion for SICAS and Our SP Students

Journey Together with SICAS at Qingdao Princess Villa

Photograph Journal of Qingdao International Academician Park