Email: service@sicas.cnTel/Wechat/Whatsapp: +86-15318861816 русскийNew version
  1. Students
  2. Choice C: Finding an ideal course
  3. Entry Requirements
  4. Overview on Enrollment Requirements

Overview on Enrollment Requirements

Views:714 Time:6/21/2011 5:40:31 PM

To accept the Higher Education in China, you should first check whether you meet the basic requirements stipulated by both the Ministry of Education (MOE), P.R. China and the university you apply for.

MOE official requirements for Study in China

1. Applicants should have the appropriate qualifications and be able to meet all the requirements (in accordance with the school), be in a reliable financial state
2. Applicant must have the certificate to prove you are a real student. , and must hold a student or visitor visa;
3.  Some official sectors limit the number of applicants from certain countries;
4. No criminal record. Applicants from some countries are requested to provide a non-criminal certificate notarized and certified by the Chinese Embassy;
5. Transfer students need to provide No objection Letter for transferring from the original university to the new one

For more information concerning the requirements of the MOE, please visit the Ministry of Education or China Scholarship Council.

Chinese Universities’ Requirements for study in China

Actually, only to meet the limitations of the MOE is not enough; different Chinese universities have their own requirements for different courses too. The following are some requirements which are applicable to most universities in China.

Chinese Language Skills is not compulsory for all courses in China

Regarding with the Chinese language skills, Chinese universities have different requirements for different programs.

Generally speaking, English-taught programs and non-degree language and culture programs usually don’t require any Chinese language skills or any HSK exam results. And also, non-degree language and culture programs have the least requirements; if you have obtained a high school diploma, you can apply for admission.

However, if you apply for English -taught programs, your results of TOEFL or IELTS or other equally recognized English proficiency tests results will be required. (You don’t need to provide the above results if you are an English native speaker or you have an academic degree taught in English).

And if you apply for degree courses taught in Chinese, you need to provide HSK examination results to prove your Chinese language proficiency. As for master's degree, a copy of transcripts and recommendation letters are also required.

It is true that more and more courses can be taught in English in many universities in China, and Chinese Language Skills or HSK results is not compulsory for applying those courses. As many Chinese Universities give more and more courses taught in English, Chinese Language Skills or HSK results is not compulsory for applying those courses.

Academic Requirements

This is a list of requirements for different courses: (Applicants may find courses by Course Search
Find universities and colleges by School Search according to your personal educational background and the following requirements.)

Short-term training-the applicants usually will study in China for 1-20 weeks; you will only need to provide High school diploma or the equivalent (e.g. A-level). For most of Chinese universities, any education background is accepted for the short term program.

Language program usually will last for 1-2 years, a High school diploma or the equivalent (e.g. A-level) is required by most Chinese universities.

Undergraduate or associate Degree program-To gain the entry into an undergraduate course in China, you need to have a High school diploma or the equivalent (e.g. A-level). Besides, for Chinese-medium courses, the result of your HSK should be at level 4-6. Meanwhile, the passing on China’s College Entrance Examination may need to be presented.

SICAS Reminder: GCSE holders are not admitted onto degree programs by China's universities; those students should apply for a one year program of Pre-College training (or International Foundation Year program) at the chosen university.

Master Degree program -As well as the satisfactory completion of at least one degree at bachelor’s level, you should provide two letters of recommendation from professors. And for the Chinese-medium courses your HSK results should be at level 5-8. Besides, the passing on China’s College Entrance Examination may also be required.

Doctorate Degree Program -The fulfillment of at least one degree at master’s level, and also two or more letters of recommendation from professors are required. Moreover, you are required to reach the HSK level 5-8 to apply for the courses taught in Chinese. At the same time, some universities may also ask you to present the result of China’s College Entrance Examination.

1. If you meet one of the above academic requirements, but you are a transferred student, then a No objection Letter for transfer from the Foreign Students' Office of your original university is required for the new university to offer you a new admission.

2. Required Chinese language level: For more information on HSK/Chinese Proficiency Test, please click here. Each school sets its own requirements.

3. China's college entrance examination:  In addition to Chinese proficiency, different Universities offer different subjects for the entrance exams. For instance, engineering and science students will be tested in chemistry and physics; economics students will usually be tested in mathematics.

Review training is available for preparing to pass the entrance exam in some universities. However, if you have obtained an academic degree from a well-known Chinese University, then you have the chance to skip the exam.